Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Independance


As a broadcast journalism major, I need to set my mental conditioning now to be an independent journalist. My fear is I will get attached to some of the stories I cover. I need to show compassion during interviews, but keep myself separate from the stories. Independence in journalism encompasses emotional and physical independence from stories covered.

Independence is the essence of journalist’s reputation because journalists are not supported by the state. Thus, trust is built and confidence from viewer grows. An online source, The Journalists Handbook, says, “Independence is the essence of our reputation as a “stateless” global news organization and fundamental to the trust that allows us to report impartially from all sides of a conflict or dispute.” I like this because I feel it is crucial to be able to report on companies, government officials, and anything else, without concern for anything but accuracy.

It is important to be able to report the truth without looking over your shoulders. One professional reporter added, “even if it is likely to antagonize certain interests, including your editors.”  It is a journalists duty to avoid conflicts of interest or situations that could give the impression of a conflict. Broadcast especially calls for independence, because not only your name, but your face, is seen with the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment